[b-hebrew] END OF THREAD: Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sat Sep 27 17:50:41 EDT 2003

B-Haveray,

We will allow an answer to Liz recent points about the pronunciation of the
tetragrammaton, shown here.  Keep it on track, folks!

Bryan

Dear Dave et.al.,
I pronounce the name Yahweh when I teach
largely because scholars have for the most
part decided that this is how it was pronounced.
As Peter says, it's based on the Greek where it was
written IAOUE. However, several things have always
bothered me about this. 1) it doesn't conform to any of
the theophoric names that we have, 2) it doesn't conform
to what we know from Elephantine, and 3) the Greeks, to
my knowledge, do not have an aspirated H in the middle of
their words, so that sound if there could not have been expressed.
herefore, it doesn't make sense to me that Yah-weh is correct.
Liz