[b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Sep 27 17:22:39 EDT 2003

On 27/09/2003 13:42, Dave Washburn wrote:

>...  I have a friend
>named John; if he moved to Mexico he would probably be called Juan, while if
>he moved to Russia he'd be called Ivan. ...

Not true, actually. I know of several Americans and Brits called John
who have lived in Russia and other Russian speaking countries. They are
never called Ivan. No one ever tried to call me Pyotr. It is not a
Russian custom to Russianise names of foreign men, though oddly they do
tend to do it with women's names which are similar to common Russian
ones e.g. Cathy becomes Katya.

>... Same name, varying pronunciation, no
>loss of referent.  Your comment that you have been "influenced" by the
>sacred-name movement says a lot, and I don't mind being the first to tell you
>that you have been persuaded to major on something very, very minor.  If I
>may be forgiven for waxing theological for a moment, God doesn't care what
>you call Him; all He cares is that He hears from you once in a while! ;-)

Agreed!

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/