[b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Sep 26 17:14:37 EDT 2003

On 26/09/2003 12:05, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>>===== Original Message From phil-eng at ighmail.com =====
>>Why does elohim occur in MT Psalm 8:6[5], whereas aggelous occurs in LXX
>>Psalm 8:6[5]?
>>

>I suppose the best person to ask would be the translator who came up with the
>Greek rendering. Since I don't think that person is on this list, I'll take a
>stab at an answer. The translator probably felt that elohim has a wider range
>of meaning than can be captured in any one Greek word (as is often the case
>when translating from any language to any other). A judgment had to be made as
>to the meaning of elohim in this context, and angelous seemed like the best
>rendering to go with. I suspect that the translator had in mind the sense of
>superhuman beings here, rather than human messengers. I'm assuming, of course,
>that elohim was in the Vorlage.
>
>Trevor Peterson
>CUA/Semitics

Maybe the LXX translator was correct. In the Psalms 'elohim can refer to
heavenly beings (plural), "angels" of some sort e.g. 82:1,6, 97:7,
138:1, to pagan gods (plural) (if that is actually different), and to
God (singular). And there is a real difficulty in taking this as a
reference to God, YHWH, as YHWH 'adonenu is the second person singular
subject here.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/