[b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX

Trevor Peterson 06PETERSON at cua.edu
Fri Sep 26 15:05:18 EDT 2003

>===== Original Message From phil-eng at ighmail.com =====
>Why does elohim occur in MT Psalm 8:6[5], whereas aggelous occurs in LXX
>Psalm 8:6[5]?

I suppose the best person to ask would be the translator who came up with the
Greek rendering. Since I don't think that person is on this list, I'll take a
stab at an answer. The translator probably felt that elohim has a wider range
of meaning than can be captured in any one Greek word (as is often the case
when translating from any language to any other). A judgment had to be made as
to the meaning of elohim in this context, and angelous seemed like the best
rendering to go with. I suspect that the translator had in mind the sense of
superhuman beings here, rather than human messengers. I'm assuming, of course,
that elohim was in the Vorlage.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics