[b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex YHWH-Holem

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Sep 25 13:53:47 EDT 2003

On 25/09/2003 10:27, David P Donnelly wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I examined hovah [he-holem-vav-qamets-he]
> at the two places it occurs in the single verse Ezekiel 7:26,
> of the Leningrad Codex.
>
> At Ezekiel 7:26 in the Leningrad Codex
> the holem in hovah
> [in both occurrences]
> is centered between the right side of the vav
> and the left side of the he.
>
> The holem appears to be positioned exactly as it is positioned
> in Yehovah
> [yod-simple shewa-he-holem-vav-qamets-he]
> at Genesis 3:14 in the Leningrad Codex.
>
> However the BHS text shows the holem in hovah
> and the holem in Yehovah differently,
> although in the Leningrad Codex they appear to be positioned identical
>
> At Ezekiel 7:26 in the BHS text,
> the holem in hovah
> [in both occurences]
> is shown over the upper left edge of the he.
>
> However at Genesis 3:14 in the BHS text
> the holem in Yehovah
> is shown at the top right of the vav.
>
> In all three cases the vav has a qamets under it.

Interesting. Thanks for this information.

> Is there any reason why the BHS text might treat
> the holem in Yehovah
> and
> the holem in hovah differently?

None that I know of. But then writing is a convention, and an
essentially arbitrary one. And the astonishing thing to me is how
little, not how much, Hebrew writing has changed in 1000 years. Try
reading a 1000 year old English MS, and you will see what I mean.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/