[b-hebrew] Psalm 19:2-3

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Sep 24 09:58:36 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock at earthlink.net>

> On 9/23/03 11:24 AM, "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph at email.com> wrote:
>
> > It looks as if I stuck my foot in my mouth in not recognizing the possibility
> > that YWM LYWM is a figure of speech, but grammatically then this figure of
> > speech is the subject of the verb. In this verse it does not look as if it is
> > used adverbially.
>
> Karl,
>
> You have progressed from the improbable to the highly improbable.

How does one learn without asking questions? Sometimes they are dumb questions?

> You are now suggesting that ywM lywM functioning as a unit is the
> subject/agent of the verb? Very interesting :-)

All languages have the possibility of several words acting together as a unit, either as a subject or an objects of a verb. An extreme example in English, “The pirate standing on the ratlines with a pistol in each hand shot the captain of the ship being attacked.” The subject is longer than the rest of the sentence. Similarly I see the possibility that YWM YWM or YWM LYWM in Hebrew is a unit having the meaning of “each day”, and then throw the question out to the group, does it make sense?

> BTW, the NIV/NET Bible position is also that of Waltke/O'conner (page 505).
> I suspect Waltke is at the bottom of this. Wasn't he on the editorial
> committee for the NIV OT?

I don’t know about that, as I have not read the NIV except in small excerpts.

> greetings,
> Clay Bartholomew

Karl W. Randolph.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup