[b-hebrew] Psalm 19:2-3

Pastor Mark Eddy markeddy at adams.net
Wed Sep 24 00:11:22 EDT 2003

First of all, my apologies for calling AMR in v. 3 a verb in my first post. I knew it was a noun. I don't
know why I wrote that it was a verb. Sorry to make you work at correcting me, Clay. In light of various
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org>

> On 23/09/2003 11:24, Karl Randolph wrote:
>
> >Look at the context. In verse two we have the heavens recounting and the expanse setting forth (as in
reporting), then in verse three the day makes speech flow forth and the night declares knowledge.

> You may be right, but see below.
>
> >Agreed, “each day” is usually used adverbially, but not always.
> >
> >YWMM is the word for “daily”

Following Clay and Peter's lead, I looked at the two similar phrases: MYOM LYOM (from day to day) in Est
3:7 and Ps 96:2 and YOM YOM (day after day or day by day) in Gen 39:10 Ex 16:5 Ps 61:9 and 68:20 Prov.
8:30,34 and Isa 58:2. The phrase in Ps 19:3 (YOM LYOM) is used nowhere else in the Hebrew Bible. If Ps
19:3 had used either of these other phrases, we would have to take it adverbially.
But since that's not what we have here, I guess I'm leaning toward accepting the parallelism argument:
the heavens are tellling
the sky is declaring
day pours out speech
night shows knowledge
The one bug in this is that v. 2 is presented chiastically in Hebrew, but v. 3 is not.
I guess I'm just having a hard time picturing how one day can talk to another. In verse 2 mankind seems to
be the audience for what the heavens are telling. It would seem that we should also be the audience for
what verse 3 is saying, but this isn't made explicit.

> And "daily" is the English for YWMM. So let's turn your logic round.
> Look and an English version: "The firmament proclaims the work of his
> hands and day by day pours forth speech". By you argument, since "daily"
> is the English for YWMM, in my English sentence the first "day" must be
> the subject of "pours". But is that correct?

It looks like this is indeed the case. Here's how I've translated it now:
 The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the sky is declaring the work of His hands.
 A day pours out speech to another day, and a night reveals knowledge to another night.

But, since LYOM is often used adverbially by itself (Ex. 29:36,38 Num 7;11; 28:3,24  1 K 5:2 1Ch 26:17 Jer
37:21 Ezek 4:10; 43:25; 45:23; 46:13) and nowhere as the indirect object (as far as I can tell) how about
this?:
Day daily pours out speech, and night nightly reveals knowledge. or
Day pours out speech by day, and night reveals knowledge by night.

Mark Eddy