[b-hebrew] Psalm 19:2-3

CS Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 23 02:03:02 EDT 2003

On 9/22/03 9:00 PM, "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph at email.com> wrote:

> In Hebrew, it is fairly straightforward—the first day is the subject, the
> agent so to speak. The second day recieves the action, as also indicated by
> the prefixed lamed. Then there is the verb, then the object of the verb. We
> find the same pattern in the second half of the verse.

Karl,

Yes I  have read Maurice's post citing "Helps for Translators" which
produced "shock and awe."

There seem to be some knowledgeable people who don't agree. Aside from the
NIV there is the NET bible. When the NIV and the NET Bible agree, should we
count this as one or two credible sources?

Pastor Eddy asked a good question. Not sure we have solved his problem yet.
Suspect not.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

Quote from the NET Bible:

Psalm 19 1

For the music director; a psalm of David.

19:1 The heavens declare God¹s glory; 2

the sky displays his handiwork. 3

19:2 Day after day it speaks out; 4

night after night it reveals his greatness. 5
4tn Heb ³it gushes forth a word.² The ³sky² (see v. 1b) is the subject of
the verb. Though not literally speaking (see v. 3), it clearly reveals God¹s
royal majesty. The sun¹s splendor and its movement across the sky is in view
(see vv. 4-6).
5tn Heb ³it [i.e., the sky] declares knowledge,² i.e., knowledge about God¹s
royal majesty and power (see v. 1). This apparently refers to the splendor
and movements of the stars. The imperfect verbal forms in v. 2, like the
participles in the preceding verse, combine with the temporal phrases (³day
after day² and ³night after night²) to emphasize the ongoing testimony of
the sky.

****End Quote from NET BIBLE****