[b-hebrew] (no subject)

Bill Rea bsr15 at cantsl.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Sep 21 18:17:24 EDT 2003

Karl wrote:-

> When looking at the total uses of the word, it seems to emphasize the
> “together with” more than any idea of oneness, making a theological
> reading unnecessary.

Perhaps I got hold of the wrong passage in Genesis. I thought it was
Genesis 22:2 which the NASB translates as:-

He said, "Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go
to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of
the mountains of which I will tell you."

and you were questioning the traditional understanding of ``only son''
when in fact Isaac is not the ``only son'' in a biological sense.

If I've got the right passage can you give a English translation which
you think is most consistent with the Hebrew. If I've got the wrong one
can you tell me the right one. Either way I'll have another think about
it.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury  University  \_
E-Mail bill.rea at canterbury.ac.nz                                </   New
Phone   64-3-364-2331, Fax     64-3-364-2332                   /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                                    (/'