[b-hebrew] Elohiym has a Hireq Yod in the M.T.

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Sep 15 14:11:38 EDT 2003

Dear Ken:

There are two questions:

How much Hebrew epigraphic material predating the 6th cent. BC is there? I suspect there’s not enough to say either way.

Seeing as the oldest extent texts we have of Genesis are copies dating only about 2000 years ago, how can we be sure that copyists did not add the yod? Though if that were true, wouldn’t we expect some examples of “elohim” without a yod to survive into the MT? I know of none. And I looked. The lack of any would argue for the fact that “elohim” always had a yod in the original autographs.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.