[b-hebrew] Yachid: together with or one?

Bill Rea bsr15 at cantsl.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Sep 14 18:44:50 EDT 2003

Karl wrote:-

>That meaning is further weakened when I looked at its uses. Genesis 22
>Isaac is repeatedly called Abraham^s YXYD son, but Abraham already had
>another son, one who was already blessed by God. In Judges 11:34 it
>describes Yiptach^s daughter, but if it meant only daughter, why does the
>verse then proceed to say that Yiptach didn^t have any other sons or
>daughters?

These uses don't necessarily weaken the meaning. In Genesis one only has
to assume that the author is making a theological rather than biological
point and in Judges that the author is waxing eloquent. There is nothing
odd about either usage.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury  University  \_
E-Mail bill.rea at canterbury.ac.nz                                </   New
Phone   64-3-364-2331, Fax     64-3-364-2332                   /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                                    (/'