[b-hebrew] YHWH: Consonants or Vowels?

Jack Kilmon jkilmon at historian.net
Sun Sep 14 00:44:09 EDT 2003

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David P Donnelly
  To: jkilmon at historian.net
  Cc: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
  Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 4:54 PM
  Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH: Consonants or Vowels?

  Jack says:

  Since Genesis was almost certainly written AFTER 900 BCE,
  what is  the problem?

  Dave says:

  Possibly there is no problem,
  if the Book of Genesis was written after 900 BCE.

  Is it your understanding that Yod and He and Waw/Vav
  were all being used as vowel letters in the Book of Genesis?

  ALL? No, I would say the use of matres lectionis was inconsistent but was used at least as early as the 10th century BCE and became more consistent in Hebrew, having been used first in Aramaic (Tel Fekherye statue as an example) , by the 7th century BCE.  It is my opinion that the 7th century BCE is the earliest date for the writing of Genesis well within the timeframe for the plene forms with ML.

  And if your answer is "yes"
  it seems at least possible that Josephus was correct,
  that YHWH was composed of 4 vowels,
  and not 4 consonants.

  I believe it is possible.

  e.g. it is possible that the 3 Hebrew vowel-letters,
  [Yod/once and He/twice and Waw/Vav/once]
  that are found in the Tetragrammaton,
  were being used strictly as vowels.

  I think it is possible but we will never know.

  Jack

  Dave Donnelly