[b-Hebrew] Elohiym has a Hireq Yod

David P Donnelly davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Sat Sep 13 18:43:37 EDT 2003

Doris says:

While not being an expert on this issue
I would like to add to the discussion that,
according to the Documentary Hypothesis,
Gen 1:1 is part of the P texts,
hence composed much later than 1000 BCE.

Also, pre-exilic texts would have been written in paleo-Hebrew script
which may have used different spelling.

Has anyone considered the Samaritan Pentateuch for comparison?

Dave says:
I found a possible different time line for the writing of the Book of
Genesis,
at the link below:
http://www.yale.edu/yup/pdf/084404front.pdf
The scholarly consensus is that the Hebrew Bible incorporates works
composed in approximately a thousand-year time period from the twelfth to
the second pre-Christian centuries. That time period includes the years
586-538 BCE, during which a significant segment of the Judean population
was exiled to Babylonia, and was influenced by Aramaic, the lingua franca
of the ancient Near East at that time. It is thus customary to
distinguish between pre-exilic Hebrew, which precedes the exile of 586,
and postexilic Hebrew, which follows the return to Zion in 538. The
middle period is represented by exilic Hebrew, which is a transition
between these two dialects. The influence of Aramaic was far reaching,
>>>Dave says:If Hebrew scholars claim that vowel-letters were not used
before 1000 BCE to 900 BCE,and if Hebrew scholars place the date of the
writing of Genesis 1earlier than 1000 BCE, that would seem to indicate
that no vowel-letters are found in Genesis 1.However the vowel-letters
Yod and He and Waw/Vav seem to be found in the un-pointed Hebrew Book of
Genesis as it is presently preserved.I was trying to determine if the
vowel letters Yod and He and Waw/Vav [which are found in Genesis 1 of the
unpointed Hebrew text as it is presently preserved]were actually in the
original text of Genesis 1.Dave Donnelly