[b-hebrew] Vocalization of wnr)h 1Sam 1:22

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Sep 12 18:38:31 EDT 2003

When I read the passage in an unpointed text, I read it as a qal impf. first plural. The context is that Hannah is planning not to go alone, but that she will bring Samuel with her, so we are dealing with a plural of people. The first word after WNR)H is )T indicating the accusative, so where is the subject of the verb if it is not Hannah and Samuel?

Changing it to a niphal form seems somewhat contrived, and in the end it doesn’t get around the anthropomorphism. This is reading )T as meaning “with”.

Verses 1:15 and 2:18 also have the same problem with anthropomorphism as 1:22, but they provide extra contextual clues.

Karl W. Randolph.