[b-hebrew] Ugaritic Cultic life

Raymond de Hoop rdehoop at keyaccess.nl
Wed Sep 10 05:43:20 EDT 2003

op 09-09-2003 04:36 schreef Kevin J. Boddecker op s_kboddecker at pbu.edu:

> I was wondering if anyone knew of some good sources on the cultic belief
> and practices of Ugarit. This can include primary sources or interpretive
> works. I am beginning research for a paper on this and I really have no
> clue where to begin. Even good sources on the history of Ugarit would be
> nice. Thank you.
> -Kevin John Boddecker

Shalom,
See also the following:

G. del Olmo Lete, Canaanite Religion according to the Liturgical Texts of
Ugarit (transl. W.G.E. Watson), Bethesda (ML) 1999.

>From the handbook,
W.G.E. Watson & N. Wyatt (eds.), Handbook of Ugaritic Studies (HdO, part I,
vol. 39), Leiden 1999,
the following entries might be of interest to you:

P. Merlo & P. Xella, `The Rituals', in: ibid., pp. 287-304;
G. del Olmo Lete, `The Offering Lists and the God Lists', in: ibid., pp.
305-352;
P. Xella, `The Omen Texts', in: ibid., pp. 353-358;
N. Wyatt, `The Religion of Ugarit', in: ibid., pp. 529-585;
I. Singer, `A Political History of Ugarit', in: ibid., pp. 603-733(!!).

On the French book of Pardee (Les textes rituels) two extensive review
articles have appeared, which might be of interest (depending on what the
scope is of your paper):

J. Tropper, `Umstrittene Verbalformen in ugaritischen Ritualtexten', Ugarit
Forschungen 33 (2001), pp. 679-696;
N. Wyatt, `D. Pardee, Les Textes Rituels (RSO 12, Paris 2000): An
Appraisal', Ugarit Forschungen 33 (2001), pp. 697-706.