[b-hebrew] Food, OT, and theology

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Sep 6 13:56:31 EDT 2003

On 06/09/2003 10:27, Kevin J. Boddecker wrote:

>Hi. My name is Kevin John Boddecker. I am a student at Philadelphia
>Biblical University. I am beginning research on a paper in an area that it
>seems little has been done. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books,
>articles, or any other source on the topic of food in the hebrew
>scriptures and/or the sacred nature or theology of food. Thank you.

One article springs to mind:

KA van der Jagt, "What did Saul eat?", The Bible Translator vol.47 no.2,
April 1996, pp.226-230. Available online at
http://rosetta.reltech.org/TBT/CD3/TBT.html. But more about meal customs
than about the food itself - customs which are still similar 3000 years
later. Even in the UK chicken's right legs are more valued by some than
their left legs, so bargain packs are often all left legs!

Turkish restaurants will sell you Urfa kebab, minced lamb with herbs on
a skewer. Urfa is very near Haran. I wonder if Abraham ate something
very similar 4000 years ago?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/