[b-hebrew] syntax question

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Sep 4 15:31:20 EDT 2003

Dear Liz:

There is no direct equivelant in B-Hebrew for what you say. The closest I can think of “I wished in him to take her to woman, and she was not willing.”
XPCTY BW LQXTH L)Y$H WHY) L) )BTH
chapatsti bo leqachetah l’ishah wahi’ lo’ ’abatah

“to take her” is an infinitive form with a feminine suffix indicating the object of the verb.
The object of XPC when a noun or pronoun is preceded by a B prefix, or if it is a verb, it is infinitive. Where there are both, the noun or pronoun precedes the infinitive verb. For emphasis, the noun or pronoun object of XPC can precede XPC, but still should have the B prefix.

Varients would include adding a “to him” LW after “to take her”, though it is not necessary, and / or one could delete the expressed “she” from the second clause, just leaving the feminine form of “not be willing”. The “she” in the second clause is mainly for emphasis, that it was the woman who turned it down.

Hope this helps.

Karl W. Randolph.