[b-hebrew] syntax question

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Sep 3 12:11:51 EDT 2003

On 03/09/2003 07:27, Liz Fried wrote:

>Dear Richard,
>The clause you suggest "I desire mercy" is not what I'm getting at.
>How do you say "I desire *him to be* merciful"?
>Understand?
>Liz

Surely the construction you are looking for is something like XPC +
infinitive construct + personal suffix. But I can only find one possible
example in the HB, Job 33:32. In such a case the personal suffix is
regularly subjective, see GKC 115c, so NIV's "I want you to be cleared"
is more likely than "I want to justify you".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/