[b-hebrew] Mal. 2:11 tw(bh

CS Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 1 14:54:49 EDT 2003

This is a spin off from the Mal. 2:16 discussion.

Mal. 2:11 bgdh yhwdh wtw(bh n(#th by#r)l wbyrw#lM ky xll yhwdh qd# yhwh )#r
)hb wb(l bt )l nkr

What exactly is the nature of the tw(bh which is being denounced here?

I am referring particularly to the last clause wb(l bt )l nkr.  I notice
that the LXX removes all reference to marriage. Is this a legitimate move?

Is the abomination tw(bh the idolatry that results from marriage to
idolaters or is this a prohibition of intermarriage with another tribe or
nation or race?

The question comes up in discussions with neo-pagans about the connection
between gods, tribes, nations, and races in the ancient world.  I know that
the conventional wisdom on this subject is that "race" is a modern notion
but the neo-pagans which I am discussing this with are rather dismissive of
conventional wisdom.

Anyway, what can we make of this tw(bh (abomination)? Is it marriage to
someone from another tribe or nation or race?

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew