[b-hebrew] Why "believe" are in Hifil stem?

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Mon Sep 1 08:54:20 EDT 2003

> Good point, Trevor. Another example, among quite a few, where a verb occurs in
a stem (binyan) that no longer serves its original meaning is "dibber" -- "he
spoke", nothing intensive here.

> Uri

There is a case for arguing that the root DBR occurs naturally in the Piel stem
because it is viewed as a formal action. That is, the intensive nature of the
action has to do with formality.

Also, the possibility of two objects is not always an indicator of a causative
stem. It works sometimes, but not always.

Nevertheless, the general point is well made. We need to see certain verbs as
simply occuring naturally in one particularly stem.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer of Biblical Languages
Southern Cross College