[b-hebrew] Is there a pattern for a final -H?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Oct 31 17:51:24 EST 2003

To All:

A while ago I asked if there is a pattern why some words would have a final -H and others not.

Since that  time I have collected over 200 noun pairs where the only difference in the spelling is the presence or absence of a final -H. There are more to go.

For a large number of the pairs, both are given the same meaning, but a majority have recognizeably different meanings. Below are the initial impressions noted as I am collecting the sample.

nouns without a final -H:
individual
concrete
refers to an action
if adjectival in use

nouns with a final -H
general
abstract
refers to something that follows that action
abstract meaning

If the pattern holds up upon further study, then the difference between XQ and XQH would be that XQ refers to specific, concrete statutes while XQH would refer to statutes in general, or in plural to the total corpus of statutes. This is just one example.

Any thoughts? Am I all wet?

Karl W. Randolph.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers