[b-hebrew] meaning of XWT

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Oct 31 17:02:38 EST 2003

Dear Noam:

Halot claims that XWT (construct form? absolute XWH ?) means military camp. Why? What are his reasons?

HWT Y)YR is listed among cities which, as far as I understand, in Biblical times referred to groups of houses surrounded by a defensive wall. Could this refer to garrison town with fortificatons, or a type of fortification?

Job 38:14, in the context of verses preceding and following, needs a lot of eisegesis to get a picture of the sky, however if the verse is referring to the wicked, continuing from verse 13, then a meaning of “their defense” easily fits the context. Similarly with Job 41:7(15) the teeth are like tight defensive works.

Are there any clues from cognate languages?

Karl W. Randolph.