[b-hebrew] meaning of XWT

Noam Eitan noameitan at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 21:32:36 EST 2003

>However, when looking at the context of the nouns, the two occurances in Job and the >one in Numbers 32:41 refers to the same thing,

Job 38:14 uses xwtm (chotam), and the context is that with daylight the earth is like the material for a seal or for a signet ring (basically wax) - it takes a new form; In 41:15 it is the same xwtm (chotam), and the context is that the Leviathan's (crocodile?) scales overlap and fit together like a seal (like a sealed letter). Neither has anything to do with XWT, it has nothing to do with what Numbers 32:41 refers to.

>while I’ll agree upon more careful checking the context that the other two come from >“seal(ring)”. In all three cases, the noun has a third person plural suffix and in the case >in Numbers the noun is plural as well.

Ezekiel 28:12,  Haggai 2:23, Job 38:14, 41:15 all are in simple noun form, they do not have a third person plural suffix. Numbers 32:41 is the only one that does have a third person plural suffix.

>When I look at the contexts of the name “XWT Y)YR” I noticed that they were listed as >cities, not just encampments. Is this a holdover from an older name, sort of like “Fort >Laramy” and other such names in the U.S., or does it refer to something more than just >a military encampment?

I don't know if there is a clear answer. It is not strickly a military encampment, it can be any small settlement. I would like to speculate that it comes from the root xwh because it refers to any settlement with livestock (xwh - the root for life, Eve was the mother of all living) - FWIW in modern Hebrew xwh means a farm.

Regards

Noam