[b-hebrew] Grammar with Discourse Perspective?

CS Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 19 13:44:12 EDT 2003

On 10/17/03 3:52 PM, "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The teachers at my seminary use  Weingreen ...

Julie,

This is like using Machen for NT Greek, or one of the dozen Machen clones
which have been published in the last decade. Biblical Hebrew students
and/or professors at least have a choice.

On 10/17/03 4:54 PM, "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer at sc.rr.com> wrote:

> Bryan Rocine (a moderator on this list) has an excellent beginning grammar
> based on discourse analysis.

This is an excellent book.

Not sure, however, that discourse analysis (a.k.a. text linguistics) is a
cure for angst. The subject seems to have caused more angst, fear and
loathing among students of biblical languages than it has cured. The subject
appears to be considered by many students an "advanced" topic that one may
take up after several years of studying from a traditional approach.

I disagree.  I consider Weingreen and Machen clones dangerous to your
health. If you start out with two or three years of the traditional approach
then it will involve a lot of unlearning to start thinking from a
semantic-functional and/or discourse perspective.

During the last decade, while reading endlessly on discourse analysis and
semantic-functionalism, I have seen a score of traditional grammars (Hebrew
& Greek) published.

Don't know what to make of this. Inertia?

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew