[b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19

Charles David Isbell cisbell at cox.net
Sat Oct 11 17:59:14 EDT 2003

Karl Randolph wrote: "I also believe, based on internal evidence and
literary styles, that when Moses "authored" Genesis, he basically collected
earlier documents, even antediluvian documents, written with the original 22
character alphabet, to make one book."

In the context of the Hebrew language only, I would be interested to know
what evidence you might present that Moses had any knowledge of the Hebrew
language at all.  His name is classical Egyptian, he was brought up and
educated in Egypt, he apparently both dressed and spoke like an Egyptian
[see Ex 2.19], and never even visited the only place in the general area
where a dialect of Canaanite would later come to be called "Judean" [yehudit
in Isa 36.11]. What evidence is there that Moses would have known any
alphabet at all, and not the hierglyphic system used to write Egyptian?

Charles David Isbell