[b-hebrew] question from parshat ha'azinu

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Oct 7 16:37:06 EDT 2003

Dear Jason:

Yes, the question is originally yours, but Trevor added other considerations that may have a bearing on your question.

First of all, -MW- as an infix, which is always appended to K- in Tanakh, does not fit the pattern that you brought up. Of the verses where KMW is found, how many of them are the same pattern of the -MW- infix with the third person singular suffix dropped off, and how many have a different meaning? KMW is found in about 55 verses. I haven’t investigated this question yet.

Secondly, how will removal of most the KMW examples effect my initial impressions? I suspect it will strengthen them. This is something I expect will take several hours to investigate. Even removing all the KMW examples leaves over 120 verses to check.

My impression is most clearly seen in LMW in contrast to LW: whereas LW merely means “to (for) him”, LMW seems to mean “to that very one” with emphasis on the object. Another of my initial impressions is that the -MW suffix refers to a plural object, such as a people. We can’t ignore the possibility that this is poetic, though I suspect that it is more than that. Therefore, in Deuteronomy 32:37–8, my reading would have an emphasis on ‘their’ in “their gods” and “their sacrifices” to emphasize that it is not the true God and his prescribed sacrifices. This is a reading that may not translate well, but seems to be there in the Hebrew language.

Karl W. Randolph.