[b-hebrew] Re: Prov. 30:19

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Oct 7 15:14:19 EDT 2003


Dear Peter:

I am cognisant of that argument, but I deliberately did not mention it.

When I already question how applicable a contemporary cognate language is to the understanding of a Biblical Hebrew word, even question the use of Mishnaic Hebrew at times because languages change, how authoritative should I consider a cognate language first written over a thousand years later? If your only evidence is Arabic (which was the case at the time of Gesenius, even BDB) when the evidence internal to Tanakh and Biblical Hebrew indicate otherwise, it makes your argument even more presuppositionally biased and speculative than my admittedly speculated definition I proposed for Proverbs 30:19.

Thanks for posting the LXX translation, I realized that you were the one who posted it only after I had already posted my last missive.

Karl W. Randolph.


----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>

> On 06/10/2003 17:52, Karl Randolph wrote:
> 
> >Dear Peter: 
> > 
<snip>
> > 
> >Secondly, (LMH referring to a young woman refers to one who is unknown, as does 
> >its root. This is in contrast to a man knowing his wife and she becomes pregnant. Of 
> >the various discussions from many viewpoints I read on Isaiah 7:14, the ones I find 
> >most convincing are those that insist that (LMH must mean "virgin". 
> > 
> >...
> > 
> >Unless you can add to this discussion something new that has not been brought up 
> >so far, I will not respond to it. To preserve the gentility of this mailing list, shall we 
> >declare this thread closed? No one needs to respond, just not post anymore.         :-) 
> > 
> >Karl W. Randolph. 
> > 
> >  
> >
> Karl, I agree that we should close this if there is nothing to add to 
> the discussion. I will have to let you persist in failing to see what to 
> me is very obvious, the appropriateness of the parallel between the 
> young woman and the sky, rock and sea. I accept that the LXX 
> translation, which by the way I posted, is a possible one from the 
> unpointed text.
> 
> But you do make one new point which does need a reply. You wrote that:
> 
> >Secondly, (LMH referring to a young woman refers to one who is unknown, as does 
> >its root.
> >
> This is a serious example of the etymological fallacy. Etymologically it 
> may be true that (LMH "young woman" is derived from the same root (LM as 
> the verb (LM "conceal", which is presumably the source of your sense 
> "unknown" - although comparison with the Arabic shows that it is not 
> from the same root as (WLM "eternity". But that does not imply that 
> there is any semantic link between the meanings of the noun and the verb 
> at any time. (LMH doesn't mean "unknown" any more than English "nice" 
> means "unknown" although it also has that etymology. For more details, 
> see the books by Barr which I mentioned in the recent discussions of 
> Dahood's speculations on the psalms.
> 
> -- 
> Peter Kirk
> peter at qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/
-- 
__________________________________________________________
Sign-up for your own personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

CareerBuilder.com has over 400,000 jobs. Be smarter about your job search
http://corp.mail.com/careers




More information about the b-hebrew mailing list