[b-hebrew] Mesha Stele Transcription

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Oct 7 14:34:12 EDT 2003

Thanks, Peter.

It was interesting reading the stone. I took the image into photoshop and adjusted it to make it easer to read.

The Moabite language looks so similar to Hebrew that it could almost have been called a dialect of Hebrew at that time. It looks as if the peoples could have understood each other, sort of like modern Norwegians can understand Swedes and visa versa. Like the “Elohim papyrus”, the plural endings have nun where the Hebrew has mem.

Does anyone need a transcription into Aramaic square characters, or is the image sufficient?

Karl W. Randolph.