[b-hebrew] Re: Prov. 30:19

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Oct 6 20:52:25 EDT 2003

Dear Peter:

I plan to have this as my last posting on this subject, because I am repeating what I
said before.

First of all, a sexual reference does not bother me, as there are far more explicit ones
in Tanakh, assuming that this is one.

Secondly, (LMH referring to a young woman refers to one who is unknown, as does
its root. This is in contrast to a man knowing his wife and she becomes pregnant. Of
the various discussions from many viewpoints I read on Isaiah 7:14, the ones I find
most convincing are those that insist that (LMH must mean "virgin".

Thirdly, you have not shown, at least in a way that I can recognize, a parallel
between heavens, bare rock, sea and virgin.

Fourthly, first in the fourfold use of DRK in the verse, indicating that the parallelism
should be with the road and the action connected therewith, and not the object
(heavens, bare rock, sea and virgin), and secondly there is a tradition that is different
from the tradition you cite and predates it, one that fits the parallelism of DRK in a
way that you have not shown that yours fits.

My original question started with looking at the parallelism of DRK, looking at the root
of (LMH, namely (LM which means "to be unknown" or in hifil "to cause to be
unknown, i.e. hide" and proposed a noun referring to the unknown. Thanks to another
responder on this mailing list, he pointed out that the LXX has a translation that fits
the parallelism of DRK in the same way as my proposed noun, also fits the root (LM
in a similar way as mine, and also fits a grammatical construct.

In conclusion, while I'm quite ready to give up my proposed meaning seeing as it is
based only on the parallelism and verbal root, I will go with the LXX as it is based not
only on the parallelism of DRK, and the verbal root, but it adds evidence of a prior
tradition to the tradition that you cite. Shouldn't an earlier tradition be closer to the
original meaning than a later tradition?

Unless you can add to this discussion something new that has not been brought up
so far, I will not respond to it. To preserve the gentility of this mailing list, shall we
declare this thread closed? No one needs to respond, just not post anymore.         :-)

Karl W. Randolph.