[b-hebrew] Re: Prov. 30:19

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Oct 6 19:01:52 EDT 2003

Dear Rodney:

I am a little surprised at the response I am getting from this thread.

To start out, I have never been able to make heads or tails out of this verse. What sort
of road does a man have in a virgin? The moment of a physical entrance of a man in
knowing a woman, she is no longer a virgin. Therefore, we cannot be talking about
the physical action. But if we are not talking about a physical action, how does the
man remain the subject? Is not the subject then really the virgin's hopes, expectations
and dreams?

I proposed that a different definition for (LMH consistent with the unpointed text and
grammar would give a reading consistant with the parallelism of the rest of the verse.

As I understand the response, it is that one cannot go against 2000 years of tradition.
Why not? After all, the LXX, which predates the 2000 year old tradition, has a
different reading. If my proposed definition is wrong, and it could be, why not consider
the LXX translation? It also fits the grammar, parallelism and unpointed text. Yes, I
know there are problems with the LXX, but why not at least hear them out on this
verse? Does later tradition trump earlier translation, the earlier translation possibly
pointing to an earlier tradition since forgotten?

You have a new argument, namely mystery, but still have the question which sort of
mysterious road in a virgin? Her thoughts? Emotions? Is it the man, or her dreams?

How authoritative will a call to tradition be to a person who already questions the 170
year old traditions of Gesenius and BDB? It is the call to tradition that surprises me.

Karl  W. Randolph.