[b-hebrew] question from parshat ha'azinu

Jason Hare jason at hareplay.com
Sat Oct 4 00:41:06 EDT 2003

In Deuteronomy 32.37-38, I came across two forms that I thought were odd. I
did an MTR search, and this is the only ocurrence of either of these words
in this form:

)LHYMW [elohei/mo] from verse 37
ZBCYMW [z'vachei/mo] from verse 38

Is there indeed something odd here? I don't recall ever running across forms
like this before. What would cause them *not* to use the regular -YW [-av]
ending??

I looked in Rashi, and he commented nothing on the form. He just added this
in his notes:
*)LHYMW* $(BDW [*elohei/mu* she'av'du] - *his gods* whom they served

Any pointers?

Thanks,
Jason