[b-hebrew] Re: Proverbs 30:19

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Oct 3 15:17:58 EDT 2003

Dear Peter:

I think you’re stretching it.

As far as I know, B- prefix stands only for “in” and “by or with in the sense of instrumentality” e.g. “I hit him with a stick”.

If one wants to do something with someone else, as far as I know the word to use is (M [‘im].

A third problem I have is the definition of (LMH [‘almah] meaning “virgin”. If you refer to his action in deflowering her, she is no longer a virgin, which brings up the question what other unpredictable action is he doing IN her so that she is still a virgin? Both the LXX and my proposal get around that problem by using a different definition of (LMH.

Karl W. Randolph.