[b-hebrew] Re: [hebrew] Re: Hebrew marks in ISO 8957 but not in Unicode

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Oct 1 17:28:55 EDT 2003

On 01/10/2003 14:47, Jony Rosenne wrote:

>The Israeli NB had asked ISO to cancel this standard. I doubt it will make a
>case to the contrary.
>
>Jony

This is not a matter in which the views of the Israeli NB should be
decisive. It is of course true that the characters in question are not
used in modern Israeli Hebrew. But they are used in ancient texts, there
is good evidence for them (at least for some of them), and they are
important for scholars. For this reason they have a place in the Unicode
standard, along with many other historic characters in every script.

These characters also have a place in legacy standards, and so (until
there is a general policy of cancelling all legacy standards) ISO 8957
can reasonably be cancelled only if all of the characters in it are
incorporated into SII 1311 and thence potentially into ISO 8859-8.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/