[b-hebrew] 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm

Deborah Millier deborahmillier at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 23:45:38 EST 2003

Y. Levin wrote:

> "Lion" does fit the general
> context of being surrounded
> by beasties, but not the
> syntax. Maybe the verb was
> lost: "As a lion, they _____
> my hands and feet"?

I don't think the verb was lost at all.  I think that
this is one of those *rare* occasions where we should
go with the LXX over the MT.  Mine is not a
*theological* statement, but a text-critical one.
Given the pre-MT witness of the *verb* KA'ARU in the
NAKHAL KHEVER fragment (DJD, vol. 38, col. XI, frag.
9) and the natural inference that vorlage-LXX likewise
read KA'ARU, it seems clear enough that the MT's
less-sensical KA'ARI is the result of a scribe
somewhere along the line failing to sufficently
lenghthen the final VAV in Psa. 22:17, so that later
copyists read it as a YOD.

B'SHALOM,
-- Michael Millier