[b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Nov 28 17:31:34 EST 2003

On 28/11/2003 14:12, Peter Kirk wrote:

> I should add that under K)R BDB points to KWR II, and this entry, in
> which the As. kâru appears, is distinguished from KWR I, which is
> given as the root of K.UWR "smelting-pot, furnace" with an Arabic
> cognate with the same meaning.

An alternative suggestion: I just spotted in BDB the biblical Aramaic
root KR' which means, in the ithpeal, "be distressed", and with Akkadian
and Arabic as well as Syriac cognates (which are distinct from those of
Hebrew KRH). I wonder if this was also a Hebrew verb, otherwise
unattested, and that K'RW in Psalm 22 (just KRW in some MSS) is an error
for KR'W. If the Aramaic ithpeal is "be distressed", the Hebrew qal
could well be "they wounded", which fits the context. It would then be
necessary to suppose that the true meaning was lost by the time LXX was
translated, and that the variants are various attempts to reconstruct
this as "they dug" or "like a lion".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/