[b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains

CS Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 12:49:14 EST 2003

On 11/24/03 11:29 AM, "David Gray" <david_gray at sil.org> wrote:

> If lexical items have to be organized somehow,
> traditionally alphabetically by root or form, or more recently by semantic
> domain, how would you suggest organizing them? Cognitive linguistics would
> add another dimension - the 'frame' - to semantic domain. How helpful is
> that?

David,

There is another option which might produce useful results. Two different
networks of semantic domains might be developed, one for sense and another
for reference. This would allow searches keyed on referents which might turn
out to be useful.

The though crossed my mind that R. de Blois' contextual domains might
actualy be referential domains but after spending some time playing with
Vocabula on the  SDBH website http://www.ubs-translations.org/sdbh/
I concluded that contextual domains are not identical to referential
domains.

One lingering doubt I have about the contextual domains project is a
pragmatic one. How does one restrict to growth of contextual semantic
domains so that the semantic taxonomy doesn't become infinite?

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew