[b-hebrew] XESED, was: Contextual Semantic Domains

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Nov 26 07:32:03 EST 2003

On 25/11/2003 18:21, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Dear Peter:
>
>My intention was never to be an aconoclast. Thus, when I started with the Gesenius/BDB dictionaries, my notes (which have become a lexicon) started with noting synonyms, antonyms, special usages and to try to give a tighter, more ‘native speaker’ understanding of the words. It was only with reluctance that I later came to contradict BDB, and then only when I understand clear usage clues for a different definition.
>
>There are too many times I read XSD in a context where I see (often undeserved) kind actions as volitional acts where there is no obligation to fulfill.

Well, here you confirm that you differ from Reinier in your
understanding of the word. If you want to evaluate his lexicographical
method, you need to either suspend your disagreement or pick another
term which you understand in the same way.

I would be interested to see some of the cases you are referring to. But
a discussion of the meaning of XESED should be a separate thread

>My concept of ‘loyalty’ often is a volitional action where the only obligation to fulfill is the obligation to one’s actions he has chosen to do and to people he has chosen to associate with.

Is this your concept of 'loyalty' or your concept of XESED? It is more
or less my concept of both. Loyalty is very often, though not always, to
one who has been chosen voluntarily; one pledges one's loyalty to
another voluntarily (although perhaps in return for some benefits), and
then one has an obligation to fulfil that pledge. I'm not talking about
obligation in the sense of coercion and slavery, but of willingly
offered service. God's XESED is his faithfulness or loyalty to his
covenant pledges to provide for his people; although in English we would
not so often use 'loyalty' for the obligations of a greater to a lesser.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/