[b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Mon Nov 24 17:33:29 EST 2003

Dear David,

It is good to hear that you have benefited from this thread. I do not
think I am the right person to answer your questions below,  because
I have no experience in the practical work of making a Hebrew
dictionary or a lexicon.  I think one needs to have such an
experience in order to see the real advantages and and problems with
a particular organization of words in a lexical work.  I approach
lexical semantics from the angle of the user of words, from a
translator's point of view: What is meaning? Where is meaning found?
How can meaning be conveyed from one language to another? And: What
is the fundamental unit of translation? Is it the word (1) or is it
a bigger unit?  I also approach words from the point of view of the
grammarian: Do each grammatical form signal one concept in the minds
of native speakers? And most important for me, because it is the very
foundation of the thesis I am writing: Which parts of the verbal
system of Classical Hebrew represent "semantic meaning" (are
uncancellable) and which represent "conversational pragmatic
implicature" (are dependent on the context, thus being cancellable)?

  Having some expertise in connection with the questions above does
not give me an expertise in the art of making a good wordbook or
lexicon, but this fact that expertise in one side of a discipline
does not automatically lead to expertise in another side, illuminates
one side of the choosing of a particular organization of words in a
lexicon: Who are the target group for this wordbook or lexicon? What
are the needs of this target group? Is the purpose of the users just
to get a core-sense of the words, or do they want a thorough
analysis? Because the purpose of the lexicons and wordbooks are
different, it is difficult to make a comparison of their qualities
and put one above another. They all serve useful purposes, and for a
thorough study of a word, different kinds of lexicons should be used.
I view both NIDOTTE and TDOT to be good lexical works which give much
fine information.

One of the best lexical works for general use in any Semitic
language, in my opinion. is "Comparative Dictionary of Ge'ez" by Wolf
Leslau (1987). Here we find both Latin letters and Ethiopic
syllables, we find English glosses, different forms of the words, and
Semitic cognates. We find both a Ge'ez-English part and an
English-Ge'ez part, and there is a list of Ethiopic roots that are
found in other Semitic languages. This would be a good pattern for a
Hebrew Dictionary for general use as well.

Whereas all Hebrew lexical works have certain advantages, I see two dangers:

1) Readers are led to believe that they get the lexical meaning of
words, whereas this meaning is only found in the minds of native
speakers (I have discussed this before).

2) Theological views are smuggled into the lexical work and are
presented as lexical information (cf. J. Barr (1975). "The Semantics
of Biblical Language", Oxford: Oxford University Press.)

I will use a hapax as an example, namely, ) i++YM.  The word is
believed to be related to the Akkadian word etemmu, whose usual
reference is "the spirit of a dead person," but it can also refer to
"a necromancer". In the new Koehler/Baumgartner we find just one
entry, "spirit of a dead person", but in the old one we find
"charmers" as well. Thus the new edition forces a theological
viewpoint on the reader while the old one lets the reader decide.
"The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew" which I often find very useful,
have just one gloss, namely "ghost," thus leaving no choice for the
reader. The place where I find a balanced and interesting discussion
is in "Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (1981), R. L. Harris
et. al. In other cases this last mentioned work may contain theology
while others do not. My point, therefore, is that a perfect lexical
work does not exist, and we will never create one.  So we should
teach our students the dangers of lexical works, and even more
important, we should teach them that they should not expect to find
the *lexical meaning* of words there.

(1) ("word" is a rather vague term but it fits this context.)

Best regards

Rolf Furuli

University of Oslo