[b-Hebrew] 22 nd Psalm

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Nov 21 18:37:54 EST 2003

On 21/11/2003 15:13, David Kimbrough (CLWA) wrote:

>Thank you for a fascinating explanation.  However there is one part I did
>not follow, the reference Psalm 40:6.  I had indicated that I believed that
>Psalm 22:16 was the only time a word derived from the root "karah" was
>translated as "pierce".  If I understand your response, you indicate that in
>Psalm 40:6 a verb (KRYH) is used in the sense of "pierce" with the object of
>the verb being the ear.  While the verb is indeed derived from "karah", I
>have checked many English translations and this word (KRYH) is universally
>translated as "open", specifically along the lines of "you opened my ears",
>rather than "you pierced my ears". ...

NIV has "my ears you have pierced".

>... It does not seem to be used in the sense
>of "piercing the earlobe to allow the use of earrings" but rather in the
>sense of "digging out the earwax so I can hear".

Not for earrings, I agree. The meaning could indeed be removal of
earwax, but I find the link to Exodus 21:6 rather likely, with the
meaning "you have made me your servant for life", linking with Psalm 40:7,8.

>Your translation of the ketib as "my hands and my feet are like the lion" is
>very interesting but what do you suppose it means for one's hands or feet to
>be like a lion? ...

I consider this meaningless, and so I prefer to understand "they pierced".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/