[b-hebrew] Other languages in the Tanakh

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Nov 19 18:09:31 EST 2003

On 16/11/2003 02:45, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter:
>
>When I studied journalism, the professors carefully emphasized that “libel” is the deliberate propagation of known falsehoods. If a fact is not known to be a falsehood until after publication, it is not libel. If the fact is true, then it is not libel.

Well, you could have tried to rely on the ignorance defence, but what
you wrote about Külling’s PhD dissertation makes that harder now.

What you wrote was:

>When a word is found in both Biblical Hebrew and another language, they [BDB] seem to make the presupposition that the word is a loan word into Hebrew.

BDB note cognates in other languages to a high proportion of the Hebrew
words in their lexicon, though not, I agree, to "nearly every word"
which was an exaggeration. Most of these cognates are in other Semitic
languages, which suggests that most are true cognates from a common
proto-Semitic origin rather than loan words in either direction. You
take BDB's noting of cognates as implying a presumption that these words
are loan words into Hebrew. That is a misunderstanding of BDB. I don't
think it's Elaine's misunderstanding.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/