[b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Nov 18 17:49:18 EST 2003

Clay:

This looks like an artificial distinction that doesn’t have a real world application.

All a lexical meaning is is a distillation of how a lexeme is used in multiple contexts, looking for special patterns and all that is involved therewith. A lexicon allows a person who is unfamiliar with a particular lexeme to access that distillation, the work that others have done, without himself redoing the same work. What makes it interesting is when a lexeme is used poetically, in an unusual situation other than its usual context to make a point, set the mood or make a connection to its normal context as a literary device. Sometimes that requires cultural knowledge in order to make sense of it.

An example that comes to mind: a young man of amorous intentions but who is flatly turned down by the young woman is said to have “struck out” in his efforts. The lexeme “strike out” comes from a particular ball game in which it describes a certain play of that game. Its poetic use in this example works because it brings with it a whole truck load of contextual clues that it acquired in its normal context. To someone who does not know that ball game, the lexeme makes no sense. I don’t see how there can be a lexical meaning apart from context. Both work together.

Karl W. Randolph.