[b-hebrew] lexicography

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Nov 18 12:32:52 EST 2003

Dave:

I hinted at it in my last note, and now state plainly, I think the reason you don’t recognize core definitions is because of your Weltanschauung, your set of presuppositions. Your religion, or philosphy if you prefer to call it that, causes you to look at the data in a different manner than I and some others in this mailing list. I do not say this to disparage you or to call into question your intelligence, just to note that the difference exists.

It appears to me that you are using a mode of thought that looks at the surface details, the form, then marks and classifies all the differences that exist. Others in this mailing list use this same mode of thought, which has been used for millennia.

I and some others use a mode of thought that looks beneath the surface to look for the connections, even going back in history if needed, the function so to speak. We also look at the contexts of its usage to see if there are specialized uses that we should take note of. We also look for compound lexemes, where in the presence of another lexeme it has a different meaning (in many germanic languages, compound lexemes are expressed by combining words and/or adding prefixes and/or suffixes to make new words; in English, Chinese and many other languages, the words are kept separate though in combination give new meanings). This mode of thought also has been used for millennia.

Further comments below.

Karl W. Randolph.