[b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex / BHS error-filled?

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Tue Nov 18 10:17:47 EST 2003

At 14:38 18/11/2003, "Christopher V. Kimball" <kimball at ntplx.net>
  wrote:

>I've been planning to base my study on the MCW BHS or a descendant of
>it.  Recently,
>a correspondent stated that:
>
>(The Leningrad Codex) "..(as BHS is), which is the most error-filled of
>the ancient manuscripts (it is not even the best manuscript written by its
>author, who wrote a much better one after he wrote the Leningrad manuscript)."
>
>This is a little disconcerting.  Could someone please explain the issue?

There is a list: TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
which you will find at: http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/TC.html

There you will find various articles and reviews which should clear up some
matters for you
I recommend:

  Aron Dotan, ed.,
<http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol06/Dotan-ed2001rev.html>Biblia Hebraica
Leningradensia: Prepared According to the Vocalization, Accents, and Masora
of Aaron ben Moses ben Asher in the Leningrad Codex (Timothy G. Crawford,
reviewer)
http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol06/Dotan-ed2001rev.html

[ there is a short review by Kevin Wooodruff on the Journal of Biblical
Studies web-site: http://journalofbiblicalstudies.org/ ]

and:

Richard D. Weis, <http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol07/Weis2002.html>Biblia
Hebraica Quinta<http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol07/Weis2002.html> and the
Making of Critical Editions of the Hebrew Bible
http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol07/Weis2002.html

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]
mauros at iol.ie

" Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts
"  -- Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan