[b-hebrew] Re: Greek Kosmos and similar Hebrew words

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sun Nov 16 01:57:30 EST 2003

Dear Cindy:

In the book “Hebrew Thought Compared with Greek” by Thorleif Boman (I don’t remember the page) he specifically mentions this “Hebrew cosmology” as being false. This is a marriage of Greek thought on Hebrew terminology which gives a bastard offspring. (Though I found the ideas important, the book is hard to read and understand.)

A problem for us today is that the Bible has almost no statements on cosmology written in a format that is recognizable to modern people. It was unimportant to the message. The end result is that any modern attempt to make a definitive statement as to ancient Hebrew cosmology ends up entailing more eisegesis of what we presume than exegesis of what the text actually states.

Karl W. Randolph.