[b-hebrew] Re: Greek Kosmos and similar Hebrew words

SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH cms at dragon.com
Sat Nov 15 13:17:07 EST 2003

I'm writing a masters thesis in religious studies and am currently
working on a section on the understanding of the ancient to modern
concepts of the universe, the world (kosmos), heaven, earth, etc.  The
Greek word kosmos means "world" or "universe" in the sense of a
combination of the earth and the sky upon which were fixed the stars.

I'm looking for the Hebrew understanding of the nature of the kosmos.
I gather that the Hebrews thought of the earth (eretz? tebel?) as a
kind of flat table over which was the dome of the sky (shamayim?), a
physical vault that, when God opened the sluicegates, water fell
through in a process we call rain.  Is there a Hebrew word for the
combination of heaven and earth like the Greek kosmos?

As I understand it, the Hebrews thought there was a watery chaos above
the dome as well as waters below the earth (Greek Okeanos) that
separated earth from Sheol.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks!

Cindy Smith		Unless the LORD build the house,
cms at dragon.com		they labor in vain who build.
cms at 5sc.net		Unless the LORD guard the city,
cms at romancatholic.org	in vain does the guard keep watch.
Me transmitte sursum,		-- Psalm 127:1
	Caledoni!		All your base are belong to us.
A Real Live Catholic		You are on the way to destruction.
	in Georgia!		What you say.