[b-hebrew] lexicography

Julie Devall krena_li_mara at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 15 10:46:05 EST 2003

Hello All,

I am currently working on an independent study in lexicography, and have
benefitted much from the previous posts.  I also do not want to step into
the middle of Peter v. Karl.  But in a related thread, I know there are
other lexica than BDB, but wondered if Karl would tell us about the lexicon
he uses and why it is philosophically superior.  After all, I have problems
with some of BDB, but have always regarded it as my default.

Also relatedly, I'm wondering why JM call dibber a Denominative Piel, which
is "not a grammatical, but lexical category."  And behind it lies "a
related, and assuredly more primitive, noun: dibber to speak (vs. davar)".
Trevor, can you shed any light on why davar is "assuredly more primitive?"

All other guidance on how to correctly do lexicography is welcome and
appreciated.

many thanks,

Julie :)