[b-hebrew] Re: deriving stems (was:

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Nov 13 15:02:19 EST 2003

As a lexicographer, there are two approaches I have seen utilized in Hebrew-English dictionaries: the first is to indicate words into English that make the smoothest reading in English including for each inflextion, the second is to try to indicate as best as possible the Hebrew meaning no matter how awkward it sounds in English. The latter approach utilizes the inflextions to narrow down the core meaning of the Hebrew word. BDB, Gesenius and almost every dictionary utilize the former approach. The former approach makes it harder to see the inflextional pattern.

Karl W. Randolph.