[b-hebrew] Re: Other languages in the Tanakh

Brandon M Cherry pentewyn at juno.com
Wed Nov 12 08:57:51 EST 2003

> From: Elaine Keown <elaine_keown at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Other languages in the Tanakh
> To: Brandon M Cherry <pentewyn at juno.com>,
> b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>        Elaine Keown
>        central Texas
>
> Hi,
>
> If you look at the standard (but quite old)
> dictionary, Brown-Driver-Briggs, you will find
> Aramaic, Persian, Akkadian, Tamil or Malayalam, Greek,
> Egyptian and probably various others.
>
> I would guess that the Aramaic and Persian loanwords
> are the most numerous---Elaine

Most of these I'm aware of, but Tamil and Malayalam surprise me. How
would languages of southern India end up in the Hebrew Bible? Any idea
what the word or words in question are? I have BDB, but don't recall
discovering them yet. Oh, how I miss living near the seminary library!

Brandon Cherry, M.Div.
Waco, TX