[b-hebrew] Re: Other languages in the Tanakh

Brandon M Cherry pentewyn at juno.com
Wed Nov 12 08:48:13 EST 2003

> From: "Trevor Peterson" <06peterson at cua.edu>
> Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Other languages in the Tanakh
> To: <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> This is a difficult question to answer, partly because words from
> other
> languages can come into a text by various means. Is a true loanword
> considered an instance of a foreign language in a text, or does
> that
> word now belong to the language in which it is found? Even the idea
> that
> a proper noun is a foreign word has problems. I used to work in
> Cheektowaga, NY. It's not a word that originates in English, but I
> have
> no idea how accurately it represents the Native American term.
> Plus,
> that's the only name by which any English speaker calls the town, so
> in
> that respect, it's an English name. I would say all of these things
> are
> different from what we see with Aramaic, where the language is
> fully
> used to write significant portions of the biblical text.
>
> Trevor Peterson
> CUA/Semitics

True enough. I hadn't really considered how complex the answers to my
questions could be. I'm sure many trees have been sacrificed for the
study of how loanwords immigrate and become "naturalized." Maybe a better
way to state what I'm looking for is What languages can be *readily*
shown to have influenced the text or contributed vocabulary outside of
Hebrew and Aramaic?

Brandon Cherry, M.Div.
Waco, TX  USA