[b-hebrew] Other languages in the Tanakh

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Nov 11 19:48:47 EST 2003

On 11/11/2003 15:16, Elaine Keown wrote:

>>As for BDB, I think they were philosophical
>>anti-Semites. When a word is found in both Biblical
>>Hebrew and another language
>>

>I am sorry to hear this--I did not know.

Karl doesn't know either. He says he only "thinks". In fact he
speculates, and rather wildly. He then makes an outrageous charge, one
which would be libellous if the people in question were still alive. Of
course he could defend himself from a libel charge by proving the truth
of his allegation. But presumably he cannot do this as he only says "I
think".

The facts are that in most cases of biblical Hebrew words with apparent
cognates in other languages, BDB simply lists the apparent cognates
without comment. Some of these are clearly derived from Hebrew rather
than vice versa e.g. the "NH" ones which refer to post-biblical Hebrew.
There is certainly no intention to claim that this list of words is an
etymology in the sense of a history of derivation as in some modern
English etc dictionaries. There are a few specific cases of speculation
on possible loan word derivations, but these tend to be marked with
"perhaps" and a reference to a contemporary scholar who had no doubt
originated the speculation. And speculation is inconsistent with
presupposition.

Karl, can you perhaps give me a few specific examples of BDB entries
where there is a "presupposition that the word is a loan word into Hebrew"?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/